Why musicals are awesome.

Last night, I saw a wonderful, light French musical Les Chansons d'Amour (Love Songs). Being a huge fan of musicals, I do not understand when people think of them as a lower form of theatre/movie genre. These people probably only saw one or two musicals in their lives, and those were probably too old-fashioned for them to love and get interested in this genre. The Sound of Music, for example, is a great family movie, but certainly not enough to make you want to explore that section of your DVD rental. In truth, the musical is a genre so complex and gripping, once you start watching it, you'll never go back.

So, here's a list of 5 very different musicals, and I guarantee that you will like at least a couple of them.

  1. RENT (Chris Columbus) - My favorite movie of all time. If your idea of a musical involves nuns singing on top of Austrian mountain tops, think again. RENT is a modern story about a group of young people living in East Village, dealing with such universal issues as poverty, AIDS, estrangement from their parents and identity. The music is contemporary as well, blending rock, pop and gospel. The original Broadway production was a vehicle for today's stars like Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs, and the movie version also includes the majority of the Broadway cast, with newcomers Tracie Thoms (The Devil Wears Prada, Death Proof) and Rosario Dawson (Sin City, Death Proof). If you like it, check out: Fame.
  2. Evita (Alan Parker) - If you are more of an opera goer, you may find this movie starring Madonna and Antonio Banderas a real gem! Commonly known as the movie Madonna should have gotten an Oscar for, it is an emotional story of a young girl rising from poverty to become the first lady of Argentina. The film doesn't have any dialogue - everything is sung out and it resembles an operetta. Madonna also went into history as being an actress with the most costumes in the movie, followed by Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra. If you like it, check out: Phantom of the Opera, La Vie en Rose.
  3. Across the Universe (Julie Taymor) - From the visionary director of Frida comes a love story told exclusively by means of the songs by The Beatles. The new arrangements are superb, and the performances by Jim Sturgess (21) and Evan Rachel Wood (Thirteen, Life Before Her Eyes) are thrilling. It is also a film for those who love lush, trippy visual effects. If you like it, check out: Mamma Mia!, Pink Floyd: The Wall
  4. Cabaret (Bob Fosse) - An almost-musical, this Liza Minnelli masterpiece is a story of two lovers and their life in the Nazi Germany. A moving, powerful movie is especially driven by its music and the title track and is also ranked as 63rd on the American Film's Institute's list of the 100 greatest American movies. If you like it, check out: New York, New York.
  5. Once (John Carney) - Once is an Academy award-winning Indie musical, about two struggling Irish musicians who fall in love. It is very naturalistic and low-budget, but a true gem for Indie film lovers! If you like it, check out: Les Chansons D'Amour.
Are there any musicals you love? I am always into watching new stuff, so let me know! And thanks to all my new readers for reading, I love you guys!

11 comments:

I did love the sound of music back when I was a kid .. maybe I should explore in your choices of musicals!

 

Yeah, well there's something for everybody's taste! :)

Good luck!

 

Ok gotta say something! As a HUGE old movie buff, don't kick the older ones to the curb just yet! For non-stop REAL dancing and wonderful music check out this scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yGGtVKrD8 I have often wanted to compile my favorite dance scenes from musicals now you have inspired me!

 

Yay, that was great. Especially jumping up and down the stairs neat the end.

I am not dismissing oldies, but I think for people to start watching musicals, they need some modern films to try and relate to, and then afterwards explore the oldies.

Thanks again for the clip!

 

Wicked is totally awesome! I fell in love with the music before even seeing it on stage. I also love Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables. I want to see Mama Mia, and Miss Saigon too.

Have a beautiful day ☼

 

Hey Susette!

Sadly, I don't live in America, so I can't see all these shows, but I also love the Phantom, Les Mis, Mamma...

Though I'd probably sell a kidney to see Wicked, since I'm a huge fan of Idina Menzel!

 

Hey! Thanks for the visit. I noticed you said you don't live in the U.S. Where are you located? I love your interests and noticed you listen to a lot of the same artists I listen to. I love Idina Menzel and Rufus. Have you heard of Keane? You might like them, too. I also LOVE musicals. I actually sing, too. When I went to NY I saw Beauty and the Beast, Phantom, and Three Days of Rain with Julia Roberts. Three Days of Rain is not a musical, but it was very well done. I have also seen Mama Mia, and I want to see Le Mis so bad! I am supposed to travel back to NY with my mom in the near future so I am excited to see more musicals and shows. I might go see Dirty Dancing with my boyfriend this summer...it's playing in LA. Anyway, thanks for following. You asked about a blog roll, and did you mean by me referring you on my blog? I put you under my favorite Enchanting Sites. Hopefully that is what you meant, and I would love for you to put me under the blogs you follow too! Have a great day.

 

Sorry, I meant that I put you under Blogs That Touch My Soul...on the right hand side. I guess I got confused with a past title. Take care!

 

Oceandreams, thanks for cisiting too! Les Mis is more like an operetta than a musical, there is not very much spoken dialogue, so it's similar to Evita in that respect... Also, there's not a movie version of the musical yet, so you can only see it in theatres.

When I was on Broadway, I saw The Producers, and it was awesome, but the movie version plain sucks in my opinion.

And Idina and Rufus are AMAZiNG! <3

Putting you on my blogroll as well!

 

thanks for commenting on my blog.

I've never been to the theatre unfortunately, but I definately wouldnt mind seeing one. Seen loads of adaptions on tv, but i know they dont have the same atmosphere.

cool blog btw

 

Thanks for reading Laid Back Lion!

Yeah, musicals in theatre certainly have a certain atmosphere that can't really be reproduced on film, but films are more easily accessible.