As you may have noticed, I love making lists. They are tidy, it gets everything out on the page, and are easy and fun to read. So, why not make one today?
Lately, I've been thinking of what I wanna do in life. I wasn't thinking about it in practical terms, simply what I think would be awesome to do and how much fun it would be. That's when it hit me - not only did someone already do every single one of this things, I could actually name these people. It seems like our ambitions depend on our experience - in other words, when we see someone doing something we perceive as great, we naturally want to follow in their footsteps. So, here's my list of five inspirational people!
- Madonna -For someone to rise from the ashes like Madonna did, takes real courage and bravery. Many people say she had to use her relationships and connections in order to get to where she is now, but I say kudos. For someone who only learned how to sing halfway through her career, to be the queen of pop is no small thing!
- Jonathan Larson - The Broadway legend sports one of the most inspirational stories I've ever heard. A poor composer, he composed a rock-opera that embraces the concept of Carpe Diem, only to suddenly die after giving his first interview. But he still lives through his work, reminding us that there is no day but today.
- Rufus Wainwright - Not only my favorite male artist in the world, he is also a true example of how you can turn your life around and go through life no matter what you've been through. Sexually assaulted at the age of 14, a drug addict later on and the most critically acclaimed singer-songwriter of a new generation, he deserves to make my list!
- Frida Kahlo - An influential, bold Mexican painter who not only endured severe injuries in her life, she had the strength to turn them into pieces of art dealing with her own pain and sexuality.
- Michael Cunningham - One of the best living authors, winner of the Pulitzer prize, translated in many languages... His books touch me like no other, he understands the human sensitivities and fears and bleeds his emotions all over his novels. Highly reccomended!